Monday, October 6, 2008

Recipe Monday

Going back to last Monday's recipe, Tator-Topped Casserole, my family gave it a thumbs down. It seems none of them are casserole eaters. I myself thought it was delicious, so as far as casseroles go, it was easy and quite tasty.


Since it is the season for apples and since we went apple pickin' yesterday, I wanted to find an apple butter recipe. I am aware that it takes a long time to cook down the apples to make apple butter, so I found this crock pot recipe. I can prepare the apples, throw them in the crock pot and let them cook all day!! It sounds easy. I think I will give it a try. If anyone has any suggestions about making apple butter, I welcome your comments.


Apple Butter

(http://allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS
5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.

2 comments:

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I love apple butter. Reminds me of my grandma. She used to put in "Red Hot" candies for the sugar and cinnamon taste. It turned it a bit on the reddish side, but it was delish!

Jan n Jer said...

Apple butter reminds me of my Grandma also, she made the Best! She also made to die for apple sauce and apple pie! No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my apple pie's to tast as good as her"s. I miss that Dear sweet soul!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails