Monday, August 30, 2010

Shrimpin'


We had the opportunity to go out on a shrimp boat while we vacationed in Southern Georgia this summer. We boarded the Lady Jane shrimp boat for a 2-hour evening cruise through the "Marshes of Glynn" in Bunswick, GA. This once upon a time working shrimp boat was renovated to accommodate 25-40 "novice shrimpers" comfortably. While aboard the authentic vessel, the nets are lowered into the ocean and left to trawl for about 20 minutes. When the nets are lifted, tons of shrimp and other sea life are released onto a table for observation. (see video clip below). This was done 3 different times during the excursion. We caught a 4 foot hammerhead shark, eagle ray, crabs, squid and many different species of fish! Guests are allowed to touch and hold the catch, unless of course, it is a man eating shark! Then, except for the shrimp, the sea creatures are released back into the sea. The captain's first mate be-heads the shrimp and steams them up fresh for everyone to eat. There is nothing quite like white Georgia shrimp - all you can stand to eat! 






7 comments:

Janis said...

Jer and I have got to do this...looks like so much fun. YUMMMM, nothing like sweet white Ga. shrimp!

Charlene Amsden said...

Looks like fun -- although, unlike your hubby, I'll wait to eat my shrimp after they're cooked! LOL!

Cheeseboy said...

That hammerhead is AWESOME. I am so jealous of this experience. I'd love to do it.

betty said...

that soundslike fun and looks fun too! I can imagine everyone's eyes when they saw the shark amongst the catch!! and yum on the shrimp, I bet it was very tasty indeed!

betty

maricel said...

It's good to meet someone who works in a church office too..

janet said...

WOW! what an incredible and yummy adventure!

Pamela said...

Until I watched Forrest Gump, I'd never seen a shrimp boat. Your "boat" is much prettier.

When I was a kid we had a record that had the song "Shrimp boats are coming..." and we never ate shrimp, so I didn't know what the heck they were singing about.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails