Monday, November 22, 2010

The Begotten Holiday?

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday. I mean, why wouldn't it be? With all the food and desserts and a day to just sit around and do nothing but eat all.day.long. It is a day to spend quality time with family and friends watching football or taking a brisk walk around the neighborhood. It is definitely a holiday that I look forward to year after year.  But over the past few years, it seems Thanksgiving has been moved to the back burner, so to speak. Some department stores are advertising their Black Friday sales to begin on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.  Retail stores have been decorated for Christmas since before Halloween and carols began playing on the radio days ago.  It is not even Thanksgiving yet. For the love of God, can we please get one holiday in, before we start celebrating another? Have we forgotten the meaning behind this important holiday and why we celebrate it? Will Thanksgiving become the begotten holiday? 

I sure hope not.  Allow me to share with you a paragraph from the famed National Thanksgiving Proclamation by our first president, and founding father, George Washington in which he writes,

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Whether you are with your family on this special day or among friends, I hope you will remember that Thanksgiving is a day to give thanks to almighty God for all his blessings and mercies toward us throughout the year. Embrace the day and enjoy it because the countdown to Christmas begins on November 26th!

If you are brave and willing, take the quiz below to test your knowledge on the Thanksgiving Story. Good luck! And have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving!



5 comments:

betty said...

So totally agree with you!! I tell you, the first time I turned on the jazz radio station and heard Christmas music before Thanksgiving this year, I cringed. I had to turn it off and tell hubby it is just too soon! Then of course we saw the tree decorations already in people's windows and Christmas lights around their house and that about did me in too. I told him it obliterates Thanksgiving and cheapens Christmas to start celebrating it too early! After Thankgiving is plenty of time to get the tree and other decorations up. Now I have to admit when we lived in Montana, we put the lights up any weekend in November when it was warm enough (above freezing) but we never lit them until after Thanksgiving. I told hubby too with a few stores being opened on Thanksgiving, it will spread to more and more every year that will open, and that is sad indeed!!

Hoping you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! it seems you "get it" with how it should be celebrated and who should be given thanks!

betty

The Freedom Writer said...

That test was hard. Nice job with your Thanksgiving post. Looking forward to another Thanksgiving with my family and I am thankful I do not need to board a plane to visit them.

Jan n Jer said...

Got 5 out of ten on the test. I could not have said it any better about Thanksgiving being deminished...it seems like its going from halloween to Christmas. Makes me soooo sad! Happy Thanksgiving to you n yours.

Cheeseboy said...

Church Lady - I am with you. We really need to start actually celebrating Thanksgiving again and not just using it as a welcome mat for Christmas.

~sWaMpY~ said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails