Wednesday, May 4, 2011

For The First Time

Being born in the late 60's, I grew up listening to songs of the 70's like Stairway to Heaven, Free Bird, Sweet Home Alabama and Highway to Hell. And then there were the big hair bands of the 80's, like  Def Leppard, Van Halen and Bon Jovi.  And let's not forget the music of the 90's - Love Shack by the B-52's, I will Always Love You by Whitney Houston and Gettin Jiggy Wit It by Will Smith. I have always admired and have a true appreciation for wide variety of music. Even today with raising my two teen girls, I am getting an education in today's pop music.  Most of the time, I cannot bare to listen to their rap music and silly songs about cheese sticks G-6's and not to mention the lyrics of some of these songs! Have you listened to Rihanna's S&M lyrics?  DJ's play her song continuously on the pop music radio stations. Here are a few lines of the main chorus:

Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it

Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it

Sticks and stones may break my bones

But chains and whips excite me

I know. I find it vulgar and gross too. I cringe when I hear it.

There is one song I so love right now by the Irish pop rock band The Script. Now this I can handle and my girls - well they love it too! Sit back and take a listen. It is a beautiful song.  Happy Wednesday, my friends!




7 comments:

quilly said...

Sweet. Song lyrics do need a serious clean up. How can our kids not be stressed and depressed listening to most of the stuff on today's radio?

Tracy said...

Yep. I'm with ya. I already have it on my IPod

Jan n Jer said...

First time hearing this (they dont play it on the oldies station..LOL) It is a love song for sure. I wonder how many newly weds will have this for their first dance at their wedding reception!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I'm surprised at how many songs have the F bomb in them now. I never as a teenager dreamed that would happen.

joanygee said...

I agree, it's time for some censorship. Some of the lyrics are to put it mildly in bad taste. How refreshing to come across a lovely song like the one in the video.

Good Company said...

Very nice sound! One reason I like country -- easy to understand and fun to sing along to.
Music is a very powerful tool -- for good and bad.

Anonymous said...

I loved Bon Jovi and Areosmith growing up, but now I'm strictly country. I can not believe they have a song like that on the radio!

I received an email the other day with a Maxine cartoon. It said just think in 30 years Lady Gaga and 50 cent will be the Golden Oldies. That makes me cringe just a little.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails