Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hail Mary

My oldest daughter recently played the song Ave Maria in her high school piano recital. I've heard this song played many times, especially at weddings and it got me thinking about the meaning behind the song. Did you know that Ave Maria is the Latin word for Hail Mary?  Hail Mary is a traditional biblical prayer used in the Catholic church that dates back to 1495.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

The song Ave Maria composed by Franz Schubert in 1825, was written for vocal and piano. Schubert was filled with devotion to the blessed Virgin Mary.

And now without further ado, I present to you my talented and beautiful young pianist.....

5 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

How very beautiful! You have good reason to be proud. :)

betty said...

Absolutely beautiful! What a great talent to play the piano and play it so well! I hope she continues with it!!

betty

Tracy said...

Great song choice. Everyone could relate to it because it was familar. I never knew what it meant though. Good job Carley.

Jan n Jer said...

Soooo proud of my eldest Grand! Talented n Beautiful all bundled into one lovely young lady!!!!
I remember sayng the "Hail Mary's" while going to church with my Catholic girlfriend...many years ago!

Heather said...

Beautiful! I was singing along in my head. We sing this at church every Christmas time. (In Latin). The rosary is a beautiful prayer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails