Thursday, September 3, 2009

After School Treat



The smell of cinnamon filled the house as my girls arrived home from their first day of school. It has always been a tradition for me to prepare a treat for this special occasion. They were more excited to see what was baking in the oven than they were about sharing their first day experience with me. Instead of the usual chocolate chip cookies, I decided to make Monkey Bread. I have not had Monkey Bread in Y-E-A-R-S. This delicious "cake" is made using refrigerator biscuits, cinnamon, sugar, butter and brown sugar. My husband and kids were like flocking vultures waiting to go in for the kill when I finally pulled the warm bread from the oven. I too had my fair share, that is until my loving husband kindly reminded me that Monkey Bread is not part of my healthy eating regimen. Darn it. Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
3 (12 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine (1 stick of butter)
1 cup packed brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9 or 10 inch tube/Bundt® pan.

Mix white sugar and cinnamon in a plastic bag. Cut biscuits into quarters using a pizza cutter. Shake 6 to 8 biscuit pieces in the sugar cinnamon mix. Arrange pieces in the bottom of the prepared pan. Continue until all biscuits are coated and placed in pan. In a small saucepan, melt the margarine with the brown sugar over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Pour over the biscuits.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Do not cut! The bread just pulls apart.

5 comments:

margaret said...

You know, it seems like at least once a week you post some sort of delicacy that makes me drool on my keyboard. These PC accessories are getting expensive and WE ARE IN A RECESSION, my friend! *giggle* You know I'm kidding. Fabulous treat and tradition - I love hearing about traditions!

Jan n Jer said...

I have not had Monkey bread in years either. I just pulled out the recipe and will be making it for Jer...sometime soon. You have a lovely tradition for the start of school. Something the girls will always remember.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I LOVE Monkey Bread! Have you tried Paula Deen's Gorilla Bread? She bumps things up a notch..not that Monkey Bread needs any help.

Swampy said...

Pass me a piece of MB and no one gets hurt !

Quilly said...

This looks yummy! I want some -- healthy eating can wait for my next meal (or the one after that, even!).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails