Monday, January 11, 2010

Fun Monday - My Car History

Sayre Smiles from sunny freezing Florida is our Fun Monday hostess this week. This is her assignment:

I want to know your car history. What was your first car? Which was your favorite car? And what are you driving now - and why?

I have owned and operated a few cars throughout my life, and I pretty much remember every one of them. Don't worry, I will spare you all the details on every single one!

My very first car I drove to and from High School was shared between my mom and I. It was a 197? army green color Dodge Dart. I'm uncertain of the exact year of the car. Maybe my Dad will remember? :0) That thing drove like a Mack Truck. Not that I know how a Mack Truck drives, I'm just assuming that it drove like a Mack Truck because it had NO power steering. It was so ugly, the heater was broken and it leaked when it rained. I remember being embarrased driving it, but I figured it got me from point A to point B, so I grinned and beared it until I was able to save money to buy my first car.

(This photo is a likeness of the actual vehicle that I drove)


My first car I actually owned was a 1981 baby blue Chevy Chevette. This car had manual transmission, and I had to learn how to drive it. Thanks to my Dad and FW (who was my boyfriend at the time), it took me no time at all to master those hills! Gosh, I'm really having to jog my memory. I can't remember what ever happened to that thing. It must not have lasted long, cause' I remember buying my first brand new car after I graduated from High School in 1985.

(This photo is a likeness of the actual car that I drove)


This had to be my most favorite car of all times. In fact, it is the only brand new car I've ever owned. It was a 1986 silver Nissan Pulsar. Boy, did I ever think I was hot stuff driving around with my sun roof out, my rocking stereo system and my shiny plastic wheels. I owed this car for many years, until right before I got married in 1993 at which point I owned a red Jeep Cherokee and then a hunter green Toyota 4-Runner after the kids were born.

(This photo is a likeness of the actual car that I drove - 1986 Nissan Pulsar)


Currently, I am driving my second favorite car of all times, a 1997 champagne color Ford Expedition. This family SUV seats nine passengers and believe me, there have been numerous times all nine seats have been occupied. It truly is a "Mom Mobile", as I cart around the kids and their friends to all of their activities and extra curricular functions. This vehicle has also gotten us to and from many vacations and each time it has been jammed packed with all of our goods. I don't see how I could possibly downsize.  Here, FW and the girls are giving her a good washin'. She looks her best when she is sparklin' clean! This photo was taken in May before we had our driveway paved. Now, she stays alot cleaner and she is garage kept! I hope to keep her for a long time.



So, there you have it, my Car History in a nutshell. That was a fun walk down memory lane, Sayre. I can't wait to check out all the other "hot rods". You can too, just click here.

12 comments:

Sayre said...

I loved this jog down memory lane! I remember those Pulsars - they WERE hot stuff at the time! And the Chevettes were everywhere. Isn't it interesting how our choice of cars shows where we were in life? I have a "mommy car" now too!

Jill said...

Note to self, someone will try and fill your vehicle with 9 people if you have 9 seats. Crazy! Looks like you have a good set of wheels there, though. Good job on finding all those old pics. I'm not nostalgic about my old cars, but they weren't really, mine, per se anyway. Dreading the eventual 'upgrade' to a mommy mobile...

Faye said...

Ah, thanks for the photo of my buddy Cooper, CL! He always seems to be where the action is whether car washing or leaf raking. People spend so much time in their vehicles so we need one big enough to get the job done.

So, are you still planning to "plug in" tomorrow night for the American Idol auditions? I am, although there's a conflict with a new NCIS. Tonight I'm watching The Bachelor, which is just so wrong on many levels. :-) I rationalize by playing Scrabble with my two imaginary opponents, Thelma and Louise, while the show is on. . .

joanygee said...

Wish I'd made the effort to include some photos. Love your car cleaning photo!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I'm laughing out loud right now because my first car was a dark blue 1979 Chevy Chevette. I drove it until the wheels fell off.

Deborah Ann said...

Boy does that bring back memories? I had a 67 Plymouth Fury. Looked more like a boat. We packed it full of friends, and had the time of our lives...

Tracy said...

I remember all of those cars and I'm so glad I didn't have to drive the Dodge Dart. It was embarassing to ride in let alone drive it. I remember sporting around in your Pulsar. I loved that car!

Mark said...

Ready for this list?...In order of ownership - 1976 Chevy Camaro, 1986 Shelby Charger, 1993 Geo Metro (now married), 1993 Toyota Tercel, 1997 Honda Civic, 1995 Chevy Cavalier, 1997 Plymouth Voyager, 1992 Honda Accord, 1999 Plymouth Voyager, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1997 Plymouth Breeze, 1996 Town & Country, 1998 Suzuki Sidekick, 1992 Old Cutlass, 2001 Honda Passport, 2001 Chevy Tahoe, 1997 Saturn, 1997 Honda Civic (again), 1999 Toyota Camry, 2004 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 Subaru Outback, 2004 Acura TSX, 2005 Toyota Prius (currently mine), and 2006 Acura MDX (Steph's car).

I count that as 24 cars and I am 35 years old. Some have said that I have an obsession with cars...imagine that! In my many years of cars, I have come to realize that trading in cars too often will cause you to lose money and that Chrysler products suck! Why did I own so many? I don't know. The running joke in our family was that we would show up for every family function with a new car...and that was somewhat true.

My favorite car was the Camaro, by far! Big speaker box playing KIX and driving like an idiot. My least favorite would have to be the Honda Passport. It nearly killed my family by shutting off at will while driving and it couldn't be fixed. I traded this p.o.s. in after 3 months of ownership and vowed to never buy another Honda, until I found that this thing was actually built by Isuzu (go figure - I guess that is why Honday discontinued it!). Now, my Prius is approaching 200k miles and I just keep running it like crazy. How long will this hybrid battery last is my only burning question?

Unknown said...

@Mark, that's a long list of cars! Were they all pre-owned or brand new cars?

If I can remember it right, I only had 5 different Toyota model cars. Two of them were handed down from my father, which he purchased from our local used car dealerships in Orange County. As you can tell, my father and I am both Toyota brand enthusiast. Now, that I have a family of my own, I'm still driving a Toyota, a Toyota Sienna minivan in particular, highly recommended by the Santa Ana used car dealers, perfect for a family-man like me.

Penny said...

I've had Nissan models, a dozen since my first 1997 Nissan Altima. I already sold my 2000 Sentra for $4,300. It's fascinating for people who love to keep vintage cars that at this day and age, I still see some Nissan Pulsar used cars. Redding (CA)-based auto enthusiast are actually fond of buying Nissan classic models.
You know, there are great values in
used cars. Redding authorized dealers will provide you with options. That is, if you want to start collecting cars.

Dante Mallet said...

It seems that you already handled a few good autos! Your post takes me back to the time when I got my first car. Mine was an old Mustang car which I bought during summer. My dad gave me a few bucks and I added my savings from my summer job to pay for it. It was an awesome vehicle despite the age. But the miles were still good, so I was able to use it for a few years.

Leisa Dreps said...

You know, my greatest car dream to drive a Dodge of any model! Although the Challenger has always been close to my heart. :) On the brighter side, I’ve driven a Camaro, which I believe is almost like it. My first car was a ’66 VW Bug, BTW. It’s my dad’s.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails