Monday, August 22, 2011

Just Sew

Sewing was never one of my strong suits. In fact, I can barely sew on a button. If something needs hemming, no problem. No Sew Hem Tape requires no needle and thread at all!  And if a button pops off, a safety pin will usually take its place. It seems that somehow I have managed most of my life to have rarely sewed anything at all.

My daughter, on the other hand, has taken a liking to sewing. So, the timing to inherit my great grandmother's old Singer sewing machine from my Uncle John could not have been more perfect.  And even though this beautiful piece of machinery is more than 50 years old, it still works like any other ordinary sewing machine (of course it's without all the bells and whistles of today's machines). 

Nature Girl knew exactly what to do to get started. "We need to plug it in, Mom", she informed.

"Oh (long pause)...you have to plug it in?", I inquired.  This was going to be a daunting task, I thought.

Thank goodness an instruction booklet was included with the machine. And with the help of GJ (Grandma Jan), Nature Girl was up and running in no time at all. She was stitching away like a professional seamstress.  

I was impressed. And I hope my Great Gram is looking down with a big smile knowing her sewing machine is in good hands.






7 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Wonderful! I'm sure your Great Gram is very proud looking down and seeing this. :) Beautiful pillow, too!

Pamela said...

ah yes. the hair on the back of my neck stands up when I get near my sewing machine

way to go nature girl

Jen said...

Very Cool. I'm sure Great Gram is lookin down with a big smile on her face. Man if we lived closer your daughter could teach me how to use my sewing machine... we dont get along, lol

Thena said...

I'm still trying to get use to your new name. I keep thinking that church lady isn't posting lately and then I remember. lol
I don't have the patience to sew at all. My Mom use to sew and Megan has some, but I'm like you. Not sure if I could even thread the needle.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the machine is still useful. If the operator has the talent she can make almost anything she wants. I think NG has the talent and will do some great things with it. THANX for the story.
JLG

Tracy said...

Watch those fingers around that needle. Great job on the pillow!

Jan n Jer said...

You can rest assured that Gram...is so pleased that her great great grand daughter is getting enjoyment out of the same thing that she herself enjoyed. GReat job NG!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails