Thursday, March 1, 2012

In Like A Lamb

Usually March comes in like a lion with cold, unpleasant weather, but today we are having a beautiful balmy winter day here in South Western Pennsylvania and Kelly can't help but think about spring time. The sun is shining brightly and the days are getting longer. The robins are frantically chirping and the turkeys are gobblin' away....wait a minute...did I just mention turkeys?

During my special day out with the hubs last Friday, we came across a flock of wild turkeys hanging out on the roof top of an old house somewhere near Thurmont, MD. Each spring, the tom turkeys try to befriend as many females as possible by fluffing their tail feathers and puffing out their bodies. This fancy "turkey trot" helps attract the hens for mating.






Imagine my surprise when I gobbled at them and they gobbled back! Check it out here for yourself:



Seems these turkeys are feeling the spring time rush with the unusually mild winter weather we've been experiencing. We still need to get through this month and we all know March can be a fickle month here in PA.  I am counting down til' my Florida vacation....30 days to be exact and you can rest assure I will be wearing my flip flops and sporting my new shades. Until then, I pray this nice weather continues!

4 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

LOL...loved the video...watch out...when March comes in like a lamb, it usually goes out like a lion!!! Hope this year its different!!! WE could have a freak snow storm in April!!!

melifaif said...

Hahahahaha....BOOTY CALL!!! You cracked me up with that one. Seeing as Houston, Texas got about one week of winter and the temps are already reaching the 80's...I would love some cooler weather still. But, I am from the South so surely I am use to it now. :( Florida sounds splendid, however! Lucky!! Enjoy....

Nature in the Burbs said...

Your video is sooo funny! We've got a flock? of turkeys around too, but not on the roof. Must be love in the air.

kayerj said...

how funny! but that's a great shot of the turkey as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails