Monday, October 12, 2009

Fun Monday - CL's Gadgets

It's a gadget galore Fun Monday with our wonderful hostess and Aussie friend, Wendishness. Here is her assignement for us:

I would like to know what gadgets you can’t live without and those you could get rid of. It doesn’t matter what part of your life or house they dwell in, whether it’s the kitchen, your desk, shed or any other place but what works well for you and what doesn’t?

gadget - n

1. A small mechanical device or appliance.
2. Any object that is interesting for its ingenuity or novelty rather than for its practical use.

When I think of a "gadget" I think of Inspector Gadget from the popular animated TV show which aired in 1983, or the bumbling secret agent, Maxwell Smart from the 1960's TV series Get Smart. Do any of you remember those shows? Do you remember the infamous "shoe phone"? I'll bet this is where the idea of the cell phone came from.


I must admit that I am a gadget collector. I am a sucker for novelty and niftiness. If you have seen it on an infomercial, chances are, I own it.  After going through just one room in my home to take some photos for this assignment, I was able to come up with many gadgets.  Here are only a few of my favorites from the kitchen alone:

My Simple Human "hands free" soap dispenser:


My Keurig "single cup" gourmet coffee brewng system:


My (dusty) "wireless driveway alert system" (a bell chimes when a car has entered my driveway):


Do any of you know what this handy gadget is?:


Some of my other kitchen gadgets include a meat tester, apple corer, lint roller, food chopper and garage door opener:

I am looking forward to seeing all the other gadgets out there in blog-land. I can't imagine my life without my nifty and fun gadgets. They are certainly not necessity items, but they sure do make my life alot easier! Be sure to click on over to Wendishness to see what the other FM participants are sharing.

15 comments:

Janis said...

Wow, I did not think to look in my kitchen drawers. You certainly are a gadget collector. Your soap dispenser and driveway alarm are the two I like the most. I indentify your one gadget as an apple cutter, I have one also. Happy FM Kelly

Faye said...

Love the idea of a driveway alarm, but I have a live one--he's black and white and runs to the front window on four legs barking! :-)

I've been through most of the Fun Monday players and you get the prize this week for most original gadgets, Church Lady! I also have an apple slicer although today's apples are too big for the slicer to fit over. Are you getting Honeycrisp apples in your trips to the orchards? We are and they're the absolute best for fall.

Pamela said...

I can't find my apple corer!
My big food processor died this summer so I've been using a tiny attachment to my little Braun mixer and I love it!

you must have a long driveway? Our neighbors dog barks when anyone walks down the street or pulls onto the gravel. But no one comes to see me unless my house is really messy. hee hee.

Inspector Gadget was the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic -- thus my post title.

Jill said...

I just KNEW I should have hosted Fun Monday this week, but we had a hectic weekend, I was going to have everyone post something and see if anyone knew what it was. Your apple corer would have gone well right against my church key! Oh well, I love the driveway thing, I'll have to keep that in mind!

Sayre said...

Is that a slap-chop? I want one of those! If I had the money to buy infomercial stuff, I sure would! I usually wait until they show up on the store shelf and if I'm still interested, I'll buy it. Love my sham-wow, but I don't think that counts as a gadget...

Swampy said...

Oh. Oh. Oh...don't you just love your Keurig?
The only thing I miss is smelling the coffee brewing, but other than that...I think I'm in love.

ChrisB said...

I have one of the apple corers, an excellent little gadget and I rather like the look of the hands free soap dispenser.

wendishness said...

Oh no...now I've got the Get Smart tune stuck in my head! haha Maybe that's how they came up with the idea of the cell phone?

I love your gadgets, that soap dispenser is a brilliant idea as are some of the others! I'm envious. Thanks for playing, I've seen some wonderful gadgets out among the blogs!

grace said...

wow, you have some useful gadgets!

quilly said...

Aside from the basics, we are pretty well gadget-free at my house, but we do love our electric sandwich toaster!

margaret said...

Fabulous, my friend! Hee - you and J would get along great, he LOVES gadgets. I do like them, but the OCD part of me gets upset when they start to take up too much space :-) It's an interesting battle to watch.

I know what the mystery device is!! *waving hands* (And I didn't peek at any other comments in case someone said it.) You put it on the top of an apple and push down. The circular blade removes the apple core, and the outer "wedges" slice the apple into bite-size chunks. My mom had one just like that. You had to line it up just right or you'd end up with bits of core in your apple slices!

That gadget just says "home" to me. Great. Now I miss my mom. Is it too early to call her? *grin*

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

You do have lots of gadgets! Love the driveway alarm...no sneaking up on you!

Oh, and Get Smart was one of my all time favorite shows!

Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

I need to go shopping with you.

Or at least watch some late-night TV!

Gattina said...

I would take all your gadgets too and the apple cutter is very handy !
Now I am looking forward to a lawnmower robot and a vacuum cleaner robot. They exist already but are quite expensive in Belgium. I wait until they get cheaper. That's a dream I can sit and blog while the house is hoovered and my lawn moved ! I only have to empty the filters !

gate valves said...

amazing gadgets! i love the photography on the shoe phone. very nice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails